Since we have been product testing Nutristore’s line of freeze-dried foods, one of my favourite uses for the fruits is using them in my morning smoothies.
Now that it’s winter and fresh berries are no longer in season, Nutristore is a great option for adding fruit to your smoothy. It still has the flavour and nutritional benefit of being harvested at peak season, rather than the expensive and bland tasting, off-season imports that are available to us at this time. Nutristore fruits also have the added benefit of being stored at room temp, so they aren’t occupying valuable space in the freezer where I like to keep a stash of bone broths, soups and stews on hand during cold and flu season.
Possibilities are endless with the variety of berries, orchard and exotic fruits available, but here is my recipe for a tried and true favourite: the Strawberry Banana Shake.
In a blender combine:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 banana (or handful of Nutristore freeze dried bananas)
- 1 handful Nutristore freeze dried strawberries
- 2 scoops Vega vanilla Protein & Greens protein powder
- Blend until smooth.
- You may wish to garnish your smoothy with a few fruit slices or a dusting of crushed strawberry powder for presentation.
- Makes 2 shakes, roughly 550mls each.